What Is Considered a Junk Car?
The term junk car has a broad definition. There are many reasons a car may be considered a junk car. These can include:
- Age: An older car may not have parts readily available for any needed repairs, may no longer be safe to drive, or due to age, may be unsellable on the second-hand market.
- Too Many Repairs or Repairs Are too Expensive: Many older or damaged cars simply cannot be effectively repaired. Often this is due to finances. Repairs may cost more than the car is worth, or the number of continuing mechanical failures makes repairs impractical both in terms of time and money.
- Not Operable: A junk car is often one that cannot be driven safely on the road or, in many cases, may not start at all. You may not even be aware of the exact problem but due to age and car history may have no desire to fix your old car or go through the effort of finding a buyer.
- No Real Value: If dealerships or third-party buyers are uninterested, your old car may not have any value even if it still runs. In cases such as this junking our car and selling it to a junk buyer may be the only way to get any real value out of your automobile.
- Completely Totaled: Finally, a junk car can be run that is damaged well past the point of repair and has irreparable mechanical and structural damage. These cars are often ones that have been in a severe automobile accident of some type.
Removing a Junk Car
When your car is considered junked, the next step is to have the junked car safely removed by a professional. Junk car removal is an established industry and one that serves a valuable need. By selling your car for scrap, you receive some monetary value for a vehicle that no longer serves any practical purpose. Junk cars also take up space either on your property or in storage. Many residential communities have rules against inoperable vehicles being left to sit, and storage fees for a car you no longer drive are not a practical use of your finances. Having a professional remove the car from possession also means it is no longer your concern.
Cars can become junked for an assortment of reasons. No matter the cause, once you have determined a car is no longer worth the costs to repair, nobody wants to buy, or a professional has deemed it unfixable, your next step should be considering proper removal. Hiring a company that specializes in buying junked cars means you get any remaining value for your old car and can use it toward your new car. Plus, your old car is safely removed from your home or property.